Personnel Policy for the Director
Revised and Approved 11/29/2011
The Library Board shall elect, appoint and when necessary for valid reasons, dismiss the librarian.
The person so appointed shall be in charge of the administration of the library.
1. The director shall be responsible to the board in matters pertaining to and concerning the library; be present at monthly meetings and prepare and present a monthly financial report and such other reports as requested.
2. The director shall prepare an annual budget to be presented to the city council by the President of the Library Board.
3.The Director recruits, selects, hires, supervises, evaluates, and terminates library staff in conformity with civil service regulations; oversees the staff training program; and recommends improvements in staffing, organization, salaries, and benefits to the library board.
4. The Director shall have the responsibility for collection development for all material in the library; this includes selection, ordering, processing, weeding, and inventory of the collections with guidelines in the policy.
Benefits: All employees of the library are part-time and receive no benefits.
Salary: All employees shall receive an hourly wage for the time worked. Salaries will be reviewed annually during budget preparation.
Holidays: The Albion Municipal Library will be closed on all designated city holidays.
Workshops, Meetings and Conventions: Each year an amount will be budgeted for workshops, meeting and conventions Reimbursement will be received for workshop fees, mileage, and lunch after submitting receipts to the city clerk.
The Library Board of Trustees is also encouraged to attend and participate in continuing education activities.
Substitute Librarian: The salary of the substitute will be negotiated in accordance with their experience and responsibilities, salary being not equal to, nor more than the librarian’s hourly rate.
Jury Duty: Time off with pay will be granted to employees if required to perform jury duty during normally scheduled library hours. It is the Board’s intent for employees to avoid suffering a loss of pay on the day when the jury duty was performed. No employee shall receive compensation from both the county and the town for any given day. However, the employee may decide which compensation he/she prefers, either the county or the town
- No employees shall receive paid vacation time because they are all part-time employees.
- All employees are required to inform the Director of any time asked off, at least two weeks in advance.
- The director may chose to have her/his-self or another employee make up time lost because of a vacation request
Leave of Absence: No pay will be issued for any request of leave of absence because all employees are part-time.
Funeral Leave: No pay will be issued for any request of funeral leave because all employees are part-time.
Maternity Leave: No pay will be issued for any request of Maternity Leave because all employees are part-time.
Sick Leave: No sick leave pay will be awarded as all employees are part time.
Work Schedules: The Director is responsible for work schedules and making sure there is coverage for every open hour of the library. However in the case of an emergency, if/when the director is not available and the employee (who might be working alone) needs to leave for any reason, the employee needs to contact at least one Library Board member.
Disciplinary Policy: An employee of the Albion Municipal Library may be dismissed for any action or behavior that causes the Library's image or operation to be diminished. This includes but is not limited to: incompetence, misconduct, inattention to assigned duties, or unapproved absences from work.
Normally termination would be a final step which would follow:
1. a substandard performance appraisal,
2. verbal and/or written warnings,
3. suspension, and/or
4. extended probation.
It is important that complete and clear records be maintained of all disciplinary processes for the protection of the employee and the library.